Re: Fedora vs Enterpise - Home/Development

At 18:05 11/3/2003, you wrote:
So, I've got kind of used to RH being free. I use it as my home
computer/web development environment.

Is/are Fedora/Enterpise having free versions, and what should I choose?

Fedora is and will continue to be free (open-source), plus it is and will continue to be free (cost nothing). You can use Fedora on any systems you choose for no cost, including updates. Red Hat, Inc. will not sell support for Fedora. It will be as leading-edge as possible, and is likely to be as stable as what you were used to seeing from Red Hat Linux.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux is Red Hat's response to the fact that too many people used RHL without paying for it, and they need more revenue. It is open-source, subject to the GNU Public License, and thus "free." However, it DOES cost money and is available for the cost of an annual subscription which includes updates. It will be more stable, last longer, have support and patches for longer, but will not be as "advanced" and will not have the latest versions of every package.

There is another option for you: Red Hat Professional Workstation. It is the same operating system as Red Hat Enterprise Workstation (WS), but you buy it retail with one year of updates for around $80-$85 instead of paying $179 for WS. This may be another good choice for you.

You should, of course, choose whatever fits your needs best.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx