Re: Random crashes with high load (again)

Bret Hughes wrote:

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 06:45, Toralf Lund wrote:

I think I'll try asking for help with this one once more:

I still get a lot of segfaults on my Red Hat 9 machine. These always occur when I put high load on the system, but apart from that, the behaviour is completely arbitrary; any of the running processes may crash, and more often than not, it's a different one from the one actually loading the system. The system log doesn't tell me anything about what happened.

As always, I suspect a hardware problem, but I'm at my wit's end when it comes to figuring out exactly what component is faulty. I'm very nearly sure it's not the memory, though, as I still get the behaviour after replacing the entire RAM.

Two things come to mind Heat and power. Heat will cause a hard working
CPU to do weird things and a weak or undersized power supply will do
strange things as well.

I've replaced the PSU, but that didn't help. I'm not sure if the new one actually has more power, though... Also, I'll try to find a new CPU fan. I'm starting to wonder if the problem might be CPU itself, though. Note that it seems to be fully loaded when things go wrong.

First ting I would do is monitor the cpu temp with lmsensors and see if
there is a correlation between cpu temp and the failures.

Yes, probably a good idea. I've never run lmsensors on this box, though, and it doesn't work directly ;-( It starts, but the values returned just don't make sense at all. This is on an Abit KT7 mainboard. Ideas?

- Toralf