Re: CUPS prints lighter than Windows?

Jason Staudenmayer wrote:

TK <mailto:trykde@xxxxxxxxxx> scribbled on Friday, October 31, 2003 11:04
PM:

Hi,

I have a Windows/Linux dual OS machine connected to a Canon BJC-2000
Inkject printer. Using the same plain Letter paper, printing Black and
White text under CUPS is much lighter than printing the same text
under Windows 2000. I have tried to adjust various parameters of the
printer in http://localhost:631/ , to no success. Any idea? (Confession: I'm
using 3rd-party cartridge).

Thanks.
-tk

Try and find a different ppd for it.

I guess you're right. I don't know what exactly a PPD is , but it seems to me different drivers for the same printer come with their PPDs. There are at least three drivers for my Canon BJC-2000:
(http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-BJC-2000)
1. bjc600
2. gimp-print-ijs
3. gimp-print
I'm using the latest gimp-print-4.3.21 and linuxprinting.org recommend gimp-print-ijs driver. I have tried both gimp-print-ijs and gimp-print on both 4.2.x and 4.3.21. Their prints are all too light for B&W text. So decided to switch to bjc600 (I didn't try it because it sounds like borrowing driver from another potentially incompatible printer). Voila! It works beatifully. So my conclusion is, for B&W text, the bjc600 is the best driver on my machine. I don't know about graphics or other types of printing though. But I'm very happy now.

-tk.