Re: Duplicate a hard-drive wont boot kernel panic

http://p-two.net/hard-drive/hard-drive.html

That got me started, there's also the Hard-Disk Upgrade Mini-HOWTO, at
http://www.tldp.org

Copying everything over will work (you used cp -a, right?), but you have
to do a few more things...please anyone correct me if I'm wrong but at
least this gets the ball rolling:

1.  Boot from install disc, at the prompt type 'linux rescue'
2.  chroot /mount/sysimage
3.  grub-install /dev/[drive designation like hda]
4.  Edit /etc/fstab to reflect the partitions you're using
5.  Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf ... You can search around for exactly what
needs to change, shouldn't be too much.

I don't know a whole lot about grub, but mine looks like this (booting
from /dev/hde1 as it's an UltraATA drive):

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-20.9) Athlon Optimized
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.9 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-20.9.img

Hope I've helped, I'm sure there's more to be said about this and if I'm
wrong (probably) please tell me.

Marc Heikens