Re: looking for comments/reactions to the fedora project

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 09:41:19PM -0600, Steve Strong wrote:
> I am the system admin in a high school in iowa. I've set up a nice
> little LAN using two Redhat Linux 9.0 servers.  I've been reading the
> Redhat site as well as a couple of third party sites regarding Redhat's
> decision to focus on enterprise support and development and to work with
> the Fedora Project for "bleeding edge" development.  I'm wondering if
> you all have been talking about this, and if so, what your opinions are
> concerning the matter.

There's been a lot of discussion.  For my home server, I went with Red
Hat Professional Workstation.  This is essentially RHEL WS but with only
up2date support.  I got it for $82 at buy.com and it includes a full
year of RHN.  It's a little lighter on servers than RHEL ES, having only
Samba, Apache, openssh, imap, sendmail, postfix, and NFS.  No bind or
vsftpd.  None of the enterprise packages include mysql-server any more.
I added bind and vsftpd myself.  It means I'm responsible for those
updates, but neither one is available through my firewall anyway.  The
licensing is per server - there's a subscription key in the box.

> I currently depend on up2date for security and bug-fix updates and it
> doesn't sound like such services will be available.  The prices for even
> the low-end enterprise OS's are probably too high for my school to
> support.

Red Hat is working on some educational pricing.  Don't rule out a
contact to their sales team to see what your choices and pricing are.

> I'm interested in any and all comments as I plan for the next 12 months
> or so...

Since RH Pro Workstation includes 12 months of RHN support on a 5-year
life cycle, this might work for you.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx