Re: Firewall: Thoroughly Confused

> Now here's the weird part. Packets from Hormel - and ONLY Hormel - were
> mangled. They showed up as UDP instead of TCP and then were assigned to
> an array of ports - none being 25.

The udp ports I think were from my trying to traceroute to your mail
exchanger. traceroute uses random high udp ports in the range you
mentioned in a private exchange we had.

> As soon as I stopped IPTables, the problem went away which means that
> there is no problem on the router end. Moreover, how could this possibly
> pertain ONLY to the Hormel server.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

Does your firewall employ any automated heuristics for updating its iptables
rules? Hormel could easily be mistaken for an smtp DOS :-)

--

Matthew Galgoci		"If you were a woman I'd kiss you right now."
System Administrator