Re: raid watching

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 07:34:10AM -0800, Dominic RIVERA wrote:
> Kind of strange in my opinion, why would you pay $700+ for a server
> license and not the $200 for a decent hardware raid card

I think it makes very good sense.  Linux has good support for software
raid, if raid 1 it can even be bootable, do swap, etc.  Many
"hardware" raid cards are really just dongles for proprietary software
that isn't necessarily as good as Linux's builtin raid.  Finally, by
using Linux's software raid it is possible to have a redundant box
made of generic parts.  If you put an obscure "hardware" raid card,
one that is likely not stocked at your local generic computer store,
what happens when that rather unique item fails?  Yes, having a spare
on hand would be nice, but by not having that potential single failure
point there are fewer parts necessary to keep on hand.  By using
software raid you say in the mainstream, stay supported by Redhat, and
save at least *$400*.

Sounds smart to me.

-kb, the Kent who thinks spending more is sometimes stupid.

P.S.  If doing a high-end box, paying the extra for SCSI, it might
make sense to also buy hardware raid--but then you would be getting
real hardware raid.  And paying a lot for the whole package.