Re: Typing More Than American English

Subject:
Typing More Than American English
From:
Kent Borg <kentborg-rhl@xxxxxxxx>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:23:24 -0500
To:
redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx

As do many of us, I know how to type basic ASCII on a US keyboard layout. But what do I do if I want to occasionally type additional characters from European languages that are based on the Latin alphabet?

To be specific: I want to type accented vowels, inverted question
marks and exclamation points, an "n" with a tilda over it, maybe even
some of those Scandinavian characters, the double-S the Germans
haven't quite given up, etc.

The US International keyboard does much of that, but not the inverted
question marks and exclamation points.

The United Kingdom layout gives me those (and plenty of other cool
characters) but I can't find basic accented vowels.  (Some keys act a
bit strange, as though they are trying to be dead keys, but I can't
make any accented vowels come out.)

Something like the Spanish or Latin American layouts would do pretty
well, but they are too different from they layout my fingers already
know.

I know how to do all these on a Macintosh, but not on Redhat Linux.
Any suggestions?

Use your "natural" keyboard layout (US I assume), with or without dead key support, and set up a compose key. Somewhere in the keyboard configuration you have an option to specify one of a number of keys as the 'Compose' key, e.g. Menu RightWindows RightAlt. I can't remember the details off the top of my head. I use the Menu key as my compose. To use it, you press compose, then the two keys you want to compose, in either order. The only problem I have found - and this is changed from 7.3 in the wonderful RH9 experiment - is that the VT consoles don't do composition, and that it doesn't work in *some* X11 applications any more. I would like to fully restore Compose functionality, but I only have one lifetime.

Peter