Re: How to speed up the Linux System

On Oct 30, 2003, chandrachud nanduri <nmchandrachud@xxxxxxxxxxx> babbled:

> Hi Guys ,              Off late , I have noticed that  my system has become very slow .
>I have GNOME desktop environment as my default environment .

Use more robust windows managers like "Enlightenment", Fluxbox, XFCE,
etc...

Personnally I like Enlightenment (http://www.enlightenemnt.org) which is
like ten times faster, robust  and more stable than GNOME.

I've been using enlightenment for 5 years now without any complains about
stability and speed!

>I do not have many services on . Any application , as small as a Konsole
>takes ages to open . The Office Applications takes centuries to open .How
>do I make my system speed up . Do I have to reinstall ? Also , my friends
>say that GNOME is much slower than KDE . Is this true ? Should I change
>to KDE ???Thanks in Advance ,N.M.Chandrachud

KDE??! Certainly not! It is as heavy as GNOME. KDE and GNOME tries to
mimic MS Windows and they put too many unecessary graphics in it and they
ignore stability.

With kind regards,

Didier

---
PhD student

Singapore Synchrotron Light Source (SSLS)
5 Research Link,
Singapore 117603

Email: slsbdfc at nus dot edu dot sg \or\
didierbe at sps dot nus dot edu dot sg
Website: http://ssls.nus.edu.sg