Remote X11 Gnome Session via SSH

I am trying to establish a remote X11 Gnome session via SSH connecting from a local RH system to a remote RH server.

After connecting via SSH I attempt to start a gnome session with the command “gnome-session &”. I am told that I already have a session in progress and can’t start another, specifically the message reads “gnome-smproxy session manager already running….”

My questions are:

  1. Is it possible to start a remote gnome session from a local gnome session.
  2. If so, how do I make this happen?
  3. If not, how do I start a remote desktop through ssh?
  4. Is there another (better) way? How do I start a VNC session?

Thanks for any help.

John