Re: Web Monitor

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 20:16, Patrick Nelson wrote:

> We have a vendor with an ASP app and we have a consultant who tests it
> for performance.  When the site goes down it sometimes takes us a couple
> days (believe it or not) to get the info that the site was down.  This
> is something that we track (down-time).  Right now we get reports from
> the vendor.  Great, but I want to have a monitor setup of my own.
> Nagios sounds like great solution, however we do not have access to the
> host (not sure if this even matters).  So, I would like to monitor
> whether the site is up or not now, while I explore if Nagios is a better
> solution.  There are businesses that do this level service but I want
> the control which Nagios seems to give.  Hope that is better info.

You can install Nagios on any system.  Nagios is meant to monitor remote
servers (although it can monitor localhost as well), so it would fit
your needs, although it sounds like overkill.  Your best bet would be to
search for- or write a simple app that connects to the URL and analyzes
the output for a known good response.  As I mentioned previously, this
could be done trivially with shell/expect or perl.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting