Re: question about 'su -'

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 04:11:19PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> Yes. As previously mentioned, a full "su -" and "sudo" are the two best
> options in most cases. To configure sudo to allow a given user to do
> ANYTHING with root privileges, just add the line something like the "rpaiz"
> line below:
>
> # Same thing without a password
> # %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL
> rpaiz           ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL

I used to use the NOPASSWD option until I realized how dangerous that
really is.  A nasty script that you think you're protected from could
have an embedded "sudo rm -Rf /" and you're sunk.

> Remember to ONLY edit this file with the "visudo" command.

That's a given - the sudoers file is protected so you have to be root to
change it.  You'd hate to use sudo to edit the sudoers file, mess it up,
and then be unable to correct your mistake.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx