From: redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Wade Chandler
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2003 10:15 PM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Thoughts on Fedora

I don't agree with the notion that some how Fedora is going to be any
less stable than the "free" RH9 many use on this list now.  If you
believe that RH will base it's commercial product on a "release" of
Fedora, then you should also believe that they are going to actually use
the source code from Fedora for those products as well.  I doubt
seriously that they are going to be taking their commercial product and
doing much more than adding some nice value adds to Fedora.

The Fedora project is actually making RH more open to general
developers.  So, now anyone can contribute, get involved, and one day
(if their coding is good) become active in the source with checkin
capability.  Same way Netbeans and other projects work.  I use Netbeans
for commercial work all the time.  Love it.  This is the same senario
Sun uses for their Sun ONE Studio.  They have Netbeans out there in the
open source world for free.  They then take those releases, put in some
value adds and a few looks here and there, then stamp Sun ONE Studio on
it, and call it a product.  Look for the same in Fedora.

What other open source projects (products) do people on this list use
for commercial applications?  I'm willing to bet you use them all the
time.  Look at Sendmail for instance.  People set that guy up on
machines all day long.  Same with BIND.  Does anyone assume they are any
different on any other platform, or are they a "release" from the
sendmail group just compiled by somebody else?  Who uses PERL or SED or
AWK?  What about MySQL or PostgreSQL?  Anyone ever heard of Apache?
Think about it.

Wade