Re: installation of tkinter-2.2.2-26

Fernandez-Alonso, F (Felix) wrote:
Hi all,

Owing to my inexperience with Red Hat Linux, I think this will be an easy on
for you all.

According to my Red Hat Network account info, I should be able to install
tkinter-2.2.2-26. When I try to rpm it, I get the following error message

error: Failed dependencies:
        libtix8.1.8.3.so is needed by tkinter-2.2.2-26

Ok, then I check the dependencies for this program and find that the above
file is required Where could I get this file? The Red Hat Network RPM search
engine does not recognize anything similar to this name.

On a related note, I would like to also like to know whether the Red Hat
Network "Install" list reflects accurately what I could really install on my
system (e.g., under "RPM search," I select the default setting "Channels
relevant to your systems"). I am currently running Red Hat Linux 9 on a  CPU
Arch i686. Should I be ticking off this option. How dangerous might this be?
I am asking this question because,  to my surprise, Red Hat Linux does not
seem to provide any tk packages that can be installed on my system. This
fact makes me suspect that these utilities to check your system might not be
ideal. I would very much appreciate any feedback on this, based on your more
extensive experience.

Thanks,

Felix

I did a google search and found:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandrake/updates/ppc/8.2/RPMS/tix-8.3.3-21.3mdk.ppc.html

So tix-8.3.3-21

supplies libtix8.1.8.3.so. So. install tix at the same time, and you should be good.

HTH,

Bill