From: Gary Stainburn [mailto:gary.stainburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 10:00 AM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx; Wade Chandler
Subject: Re: Remote Desktops

On Friday 24 Oct 2003 4:39 am, Wade Chandler wrote:
> You could purchase a (not cheap) Xserver for windows called X-Win32 and
> use X over ssh.  This works very well.  I do this.  You need a fast
> connection if you do this over the internet though.  Play with ssh
> compression on and off.  If you want a cheaper solution you could setup
> Cygwin on the Windows box.  Not sure how well it will work.  I haven't
> played around much with X in cygwin.  X-Win32 works really well, however
> to me it is a little expensive.  But, it is the best X Server I have
> seen for Windows yet.  You won't have a remote desktop either.  But,
> what you will be able to do is run the remote graphical applications.  I
> used this more than VNC or remote desktops.  The apps appear to run
> right on your Windows machine (except for saving and editing files for
> course).
>
> Wade

Another good thing about X-Win32 is that it is try-before-you-buy (which I
subsequently did)

http://www.starnet.com/products/downloads.asp

--
Gary Stainburn

NNC's UK Operating Companies : NNC Holdings Limited (no. 3725076), NNC Limited (no. 1120437), National Nuclear Corporation Limited (no. 2290928), STATS-NNC Limited (no. 4339062) and Technica-NNC Limited (no. 235856).  The registered office of each company is at Booths Hall, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ except for Technica-NNC Limited whose registered office is at 6 Union Row, Aberdeen AB10 1DQ.  NNC's head office and principal address is Booths Hall and the switchboard number is 01565 633800.  The NNC website is www.nnc.co.uk

This email and any files transmitted with it have been sent to you by the relevant UK operating company and are confidential and intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the NNC system manager by e-mail at eadm@xxxxxxxxxx