Re: newbie: getting rid of spam with spamassasin

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Geoffrey Lane wrote:

> I have installed spamassasin rpm off the redhat cd and looked at the
> documentation at spamassasin's official site but I'm not getting it.
> I'm looking to use spamassasin with kmail if possible but I'm not sure where
> to start now. I've looked at online documentation and getting a little
> fustrated. Can someone give me an newbie friendly guide to setting this up?
> I'd like to get rid of the countless junk I seem to be getting the past month
> or so.
>
> Thanks
> Geoff

The version of SpamAssassin on the RH CD is ancient and full of bugs.  You
should go to the SpamAssassin site and download an rpm of the latest
version.

Also, SpamAssassin is intended to work with your MTA.  You are probably
using either sendmail or postfix if you installed RH 9.  It will apply a
header to suspected spam that you then filter on using procmail or your
mail client.

You should read the documentation on how to do this.  If you can't find
where the rpm put the documentation (probably in
/usr/share/docs/spamassassin*) you can always look at it on the
SpamAssassin site.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer