Re: New laptop, new problems

At 20:08 10/19/2003, you wrote:
> My IBM Thinkpad T23 has one of those, and it works well with the
> linux-wlan-ng project drivers.

Yes, but there are many different manufacturers using the Intersil Prism
2.5 chips.  My DWL-650 (pcmcia) works great with linux-wlan, but Red Hat
9 initially tries the orinoco_cs (IIRC).  However, I also remember that
my Linksys WMP11 (PCI) wasn't recognized at all using the default
drivers.  Hence my inquiry as to his card (it's not pcmcia).

Is there any chance of their standardizing on something? I long wistfully for the old simplicity of using Lucent Orinoco Gold cards. Plug 'em in, everything works instantly. Sigh... On other questions, is there any chance of Red Hat incorporating some of the work of the linux-wlan-ng folks? Any reason not to do so (other than time, effort, toil, sweat, and tears)?

P.S. How's it going, Rodolfo? :)

Linux-wise, quite well, actually. I wrote my first website ever this last week or so, using a static design (quite a nice-looking one, though) from some guy named Dan Hersam. Now, before I put too much content into it, I'm struggling with converting the formatting on those five or so pages I already have into CSS stylesheets and simplifying editing tasks by putting the title, header, footer, and such stuff into PHP "include" tags. Since I know how to do exactly none of those things, it's fun. Should take me another week or so to get the basics down, then to adding somewhat more content.

I also wrote my first-ever SGML document, a short HOWTO on setting up Sendmail to use SMTP AUTH (unencrypted only) on a vanilla Red Hat system, so you can safely accept connections from the network without becoming an open relay. Available, of course, in the usual variants: SGML source, single- and multiple-page HTML, and soon also in PDF (still gotta figure out how to do SGML --> PDF). I do, however, need to figure out how to enable and configure ***encrypted*** SMTP AUTH so I can (a) use it on my systems and (b) add it to the HOWTO.

Hopefully these tasks will allow me to start writing some more Linux documentation. For example, I want to replace my current home/SOHO firewall (recently built on Shrike) with a Fedora version, and I want to write a simple HOWTO on every step I take and everything I configure to make that task easier for others. Then I want to repeat that task on RHPW, with the same objectives, so a reader can pick and choose which distro/pros/cons is his or her cup of tea.

Very happy to have comments, remarks, and constructive criticism. Check out my baby steps at http://www.simpaticus.com and the Linux section at http://www.simpaticus.com/linux when you have a moment, OK?

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx