Re: running a crontab from command line, ad hoc

You need a different tool. Crontabs, by definition, specify tasks to runat certain times. You can't run "this morning's" crontab this afternoon. The crontabs are constantly monitored, and when a task becomes due, it's executed.

One approach is to edit the crontab, copying the "morning" line(s) and changing the time to this afternoon. When the on-off task runs, re-edit the crontab to remove it. Use crontab -e for this.

A more sensible approach is to use 'crontab -l' to list the tasks from the crontab, and then to use the 'at' command to schedule a one-off execution at a certain time.

Try man at

Peter

Timothy Stone wrote:
List,

I know this can be done, but it escapes me how to do it.

I wanted to execute a user crontab this afternoon that normally runs daily first thing in the morning. Nothing seems to work. And somehow most manuals seem to live it unsaid, "you must innately know how to do this."

Tips?

Thanks,
Tim

-- Peter B. West <http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html>