accelerated X for ati cards

I have a bunch of boxes with ati card in them and have totally confused
my self with trying to figure out what support there is for using the
scaling features of the cards for scaling mpeg movies played by mplayer.

I hate to start recompiling X and adding a whole lot of patches and
stuff if Mike Harris and the Redhat X ( Is mike the X team?) team have
done something to make this easier.  THe cards are expert98 LCDs and
XFree sees them as a Mach 64.

It looks like the card supports Xvideo but xvinfo reports no adapters
present.

Is there a good place to ask redhat specific X questions?  do I need to
install gatos and where do I get it for the rpm based X or does it make
a difference?

ANY tips appreciated.

Bret