RE: NFS between Linux and Solaris

We experienced similar issues but between different platforms.

The machine serving filesystems was an Irix 6.5.13 machine and
the client was running RH7.1 on Itanium 2's.  Both machines are
on the same VLAN.

Copying to NFS mounts would hang (errors would be logged in messages
about  the NFS server being unavailable) and there were issues with
data corruption.  The problem was easily reproduceable.  Specifying
NFSv2 on the client seemed to clear it up.

Since then the client machine was upgraded to AS2.1 and the
problem went away, although I still hear occasional complaints
about slow data transfers which I haven't been able to validate.

Based on what you've described and our experience it seems like there
are differences between the NFS implementations.  The problem seems
to be that it varies between OS levels.

-Steve