Re: moving the /var partition

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 10:16, Bill Tangren wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I know this has been addressed on this list before, but I can't seem to
> find it in the archives. If someone can point it out, I would be very
> appreciative.
>
> My /var partition is nearly full. I installed a new hard disk, used
> fdisk to partition it. I then used mke2fs to make an ext3 partition I
> called /user. I then added a line for it in /etc/fstab.

The easiest way, from my experience...

- partition your disk
- format your disk
- mount the new partition temporarily (say, to /mnt/tmp)
- tar copy (or cp copy) everything from /var to /mnt/tmp
- unmount /mnt/tmp
- Edit fstab to point to the new partition or label
- remount/reboot as necessary

Remember that labels are optional, you can still use the old scheme
(/dev/hda*) in fstab.  Also, if you choose to skip a reboot (yes, it's
possible), make sure to HUP any services that might be writing to /var
(syslog, apache, etc).

HTH.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE