Re: Memory Resources - Howto Refresh

Title: Re: Memory Resources - Howto Refresh
On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 22:15, Zoki wrote:
*** As a list member mentioned, tell us more about the "slowed down"
experience. What has slown down? Your PC's responsiveness? Checking what job
is taking CPU time would be more useful. Use "top" for that.

Concerning your memory, a list member has already noticed you have still
enough resources free: Cached 195208, Free 76492. That's 271Mb of RAM free
to be used. Out of the 512Mb, that's not bad. What unused resources did you
want to "release"?

For sometime, I've been using Eclipse IDE, MySQL, JBoss, among others
(evolution, etc.).

As I type something on the IDE, (also tried with shell), I can dramatically
notice that every letter writen on the screen incurs a delay of about 500 millis.

So I shutdown Eclipse, MySQL, and JBoss, hoping that it would release
resources that it ate up.  Waited for quite a while, I tried to check my
resources.  To my puzzle, it just looks the same as it was before those
major apps were properly shutdown.

Therefore, I suspected that resources weren't released by the OS.  Having
that at hand, the next thing I need is the way to manually re-claim those
resources from the OS.  How do I do it?

Regards.

--
EDUARDO A. DELA ROSA
MCOM/2414

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
-- Albert Einstein