Sound on RedHat 8.0

This is in reference to RH 8.0 with all updates.

I've been happily slogging along getting by with my
on-motherboard VIA sound system till this morning when
trying to run xmms (which btw has been running fine up
last night ) the sound volume was so low as to be nonexistent.
Figuring that the audio amp in the speaker box might have blown
I tried swapping the speakers out for a pair that was worKing
on windows. No change. So I rebooted and then retried by playing
xmms. Clicking on play button in xmms I got an error message to the
effect that:
Please check that:
1. You have the correct output plugin selected.
2. No Other programs is blocking the sound card.
3 Your sound card is configured properly.

Now I had changed the speakers and that's about all. A
quick check of audio indicates:
ls -l /dev |grep -i audio
crw-------    1 root     root      14,   4 Aug 30  2002 audio
crw-------    1 root     root      14,  20 Aug 30  2002 audio1
crw-------    1 root     root      14,   7 Aug 30  2002 audioctl

and the modules file shows (both proc/modules and lsmod):
emu10k1                68584   0  (autoclean)
via82cxxx_audio        24280   9  (autoclean)
uart401                 8388   0  (autoclean) [via82cxxx_audio]
ac97_codec             14568   0  (autoclean) [emu10k1 via82cxxx_audio]
sound                  73428   0  (autoclean) [emu10k1 via82cxxx_audio uart401]
soundcore               6532  17  (autoclean) [emu10k1 via82cxxx_audio sound]

Thinking that I might have inadvertently compromised (destroyed) the
VIA when shifting speakers I tried turning it off in the bios and
then putting in an "SB Live!" card that I have acquired. Linux
rebooting discovers the new hardware and reports configuring it.
But after boot completes still no sound.

Any suggestions as to
1. How to discover who if anyone is attached to the sound card/device?
2. how do you replace hardware on a linux system? I've had it in
   mind to replace the VIA sound with the Sound Blaster but
   there is more to it thank yanking the hardware and and the old VIA sound
   modules are still visible ..

thanks for your suggestions.

J.