Mozilla fonts

When I install the Mozilla 1.4 rpm, I get access to the fontconfig fonts system, including (it appears) virtual oblique fonts, created on the fly. These appear in the Mozilla fonts dialog, separated by a horizontal line from the other available fonts. If I select these generic fonts, or the Luxi fonts (which appear to be the same thing) or, say, the Bitstream Vera fonts from OpenOffice, the results are gorgeous. If I now download and install Mozilla 1.5, copying the /usr/bin/mozilla scritp from the 1.4 RPM, making the appropriate modifications, the font picture is completely different. Now the fotnconfig system fonts are not available, and if I select Luxi or Vera, the results are terrible. What's going on?

Peter