Re: Linux Printer Sharing Woes with Linux and Windows XP Workgroup Clients....

Graham wrote:

I am really new to Linux so if anyone could help it would be greatly
appreciated.

My setup is three Windows XP Pro computers and one Linux 9.0 computer which
has an HP 845c printer attached to it via USB all on the same Workgroup.  I
setup up the SAMBA Server on the Linux box according to the instructions in
the "Customization Guide" section 17.2.  After doing that I could see the
Linux box in the network neighborhood section of all three Windows XP
computers (but of course I didn't have access to it).  Then I added a samba
user and a share to the Linux samba server.

At first when I tried to access the Linux box to see if the share worked I
got the access denied message ("\\Localhost is not accessible.  You might
not have permission....etc.").  So I rebooted all the computers and then it
seemed to work, but not all the time.  Sometimes I still get the access
denied message from the network neighborhood section (When double clicking
on the Linux box.) usually right after a reboot.  But if I wait a little
while (like 10-30 minutes) the share works and I can transfer files back and
forth just fine, but the kicker is, I can only do it from one of the Windows
XP machines the rest of them all get the access denied message (I don't even
get a chance to enter a username/password).

So on the Windows XP box that does seem to work I set up a Printer Share
according to the "Customization Guide" section 27.13.  I can "see" the
printer from the one Windows XP machine and installed it.  Everything seemed
just fine and even the installed printer's status (XP side) on "localhost"
was Ready.  But when I try to print or do a test print nothing happens (most
of the time).  Once the printer queue on the XP side came up but it never
made it to the Linux box.  It just sat there like it didn't know where to
go.  Most of the time when I try to print nothing happens.  Once while using
NotePad for a test I got the error "A StartDocPrinter call was not issued".

I can print just fine from the Linux box to the printer using CUP.

If anyone can help shed some light I would appreciate it.

I *THINK* this is not a samba issue - rather a CUPS one. You do not specify which printing system you use, but if it is CUPS, I've come across this before.

The access denied happens to a lot of people. I've tried a few things to get it to go, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but it gets better. I can safely ignore the messages, as it only has to do with administrating the printer, nothing with the actual printing itself.

To get my system here to print, I had to go to one of the CUPS configuration files. From memory it wasn't the main one but something like mime.types or something, it was in /etc/cups.

You have to comment out some line to allow for RAW printing - it's commented from memory.

Sorry can't be more specific. I'm not at a Linux server location to confirm.

Regards,
Ed.