RE: SendMail GUI

At 11:06 10/16/2003, you wrote:
My system is Red Hat Linux 9.

At the moment it's just a test box while I get used to the OS. I have
been tasked with setting up a webserver with mail support. I have been
using LAMP for a while so I am quite happy with that, but SendMail is
still a mystery.

Donald, I have a short text file that describes how to set up SMTP AUTH on Sendmail as well as accept remote connections from over the network. This will effectively give you a functioning mail server as far as SMTP transport is concerned. I also know that these instructions do not pose a real risk of a security breach, since I've been using them for about three years with no problems and I've distributed them to about 500 people so far.

Note that this will allow you to SEND mail through this server, and it will allow others to SEND mail to you. We have said nothing so far about configuring users or checking mail with POP3 or IMAP, but those are also very quick and simple operations. The total time for you to have a functioning mail server, for sending, receiving, and checking, should be around 15 minutes.

If you send me a private email, I will reply with the Sendmail instructions, OK?

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx