Re: export PATH (newbie question)

> I suppose that if there aren't at least six ways to do something, it
> isn't worth doing ;)
>
> Now, out of plain old curiosity, where DOES bash get the default path
> from (as set by the administrator or RH), as it does not show up in ANY
> of the 3 files above???

PATH does not get default anywhere. It is initially set on some
initialization script (i dont remember which) to what may be called the
default, but thats not a default imho.
It is then incrementaly reset avery now and then.
i.e. I think there is a directory under /etc that has a lot of scripts.
Notice how /etc/profile gets executed only on login, and the lines that
add *sbin get executed if uid=0 (root= only.

But it is perfectly ok to add/remove entries if you like (hint, you
coudl do it with a line or two of awk) anywhere else that gets executed
at some point.
i.e. most user level customizations should go in ~/.bash_profile or
~/.bashrc, while system wide should go in /etc...

run this line to give yourself an idea.

find /etc/init.d/ -exec grep PATH {} \; -print

likewise, any of the scripts there could includ any other script
(located somewhere else) that could well add/remove entries from the
path.
Hope that helps.