RE: What's the easiest way to deal with dependencies???

AFAIK, AS2.1 is built on 7.2.  We run SGI Propack 2.2.1, which is
based on AS2.1.  The kde and qt packages are all prehistoric:

$ rpm -q kdelibs
kdelibs-2.2.2-7
$ rpm -q qt
qt-2.3.1-7

I usually avoid installing newer RPM's simply because of the dependency
issues and the risk to altering the base OS.

In cases like this I would download the source (not src.rpm's...they usually
barf on dependencies too) and build it from scratch.

-Steve