Re: How do you tell what options are compiled in your kernel

The easiest way is to do a make "oldconfig". That will load all of your old configuration and then do a "make xconfig" or which ever one you use.

Forgive me for not yet being a kernel expert. Before I do this what exactly does "make oldconfig" do?

Where does it get the config file from?

Does it grab the config file that matches the running kernel?

I'm reading up on your suggestion and I see many references to it but no actual definition as to what it does. I saw one blurb like this:

>/usr/src/linux-2.4/configs/kernel-2.4.20-i686.config
> .config
> make oldconfig
> make

If you are copying a config file to start from, why would you do a "make oldconfig"?

Thanks for being patient with me...

Doug P