From: redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Rodolfo J. Paiz
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 4:20 PM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Whoops, looks like I was a little too cautious (Locked
myself out)

At 14:52 10/16/2003, you wrote:

>I seem to have locked myself out of the XServer with some over zealous
>FireWall rules. How do I get into the terminal without booting into the
>XServer?

Without rebooting the box? I don't know, but I'm sure there is a way.

If you reboot the box, at the GRUB splash screen say "c" to change or
"e"
to edit, I forget which is the right one. When you see the three lines
of
text which will get booted, one of them will be like "linux blah blah
root=/dev/hda". At the end of this line, add a space and a "3" so it
says
"yadda yadda 3".

The computer will now boot into text mode, wherein you can change your
firewall rules. Then simply type "init 5" to make it go graphical again.

The changes you made during boot do not get saved, so no further action
is
necessary.

Not an expert on this, but should work.

--