Re: How to Setup Mailserver??

Dali Islam wrote:

My domain name is bangali.info. I am hosting that site
on somebodies server. I want to have a mail server
running on my linux box(red hat 9.0) at home and
send/receive my mail from my own server.

I am behind a router and I have cable modem for my
internet connection which runs on Dynamic IP address.
But, I rarely see it change.

If I ask the domain people to direct the mail(change
the MX record) to my server what I need to do on my
end to send and receive e-mails? Is there any web
based mail tool I can use for sendmail?

Thanks
Dali

http://shopping.yahoo.com

I don't think I'd recommend running a mail server via dhcp...what will you do when the ip actually changes? Lose mail the few days it will take your isp to change your mx record? Actually...come to think of it...with the amount of spam and swen/msoft viruses I've been receiving lately...I wouldn't mind losing mail for a few days!

I'd recommend the O'Reilly books on DNS, Sendmail or Exim, and using SquirrelMail as your web-based mail client. Sendmail is an MTA, mail clients are MUAs. Mail clients generally work with any MTA...not just sendmail. SquirrelMail comes with RH9 and is already integrated into apache.

Since you're hosting services behind a firewall, you should understand NAT and firewall rules.

You may want to consider having your mail hosted by the provider too...it's generally not too expensive. Unless you really want to get into the bowels of being a sysadmin, linux internals and whatnot...this would be the way to go. Otherwise...put on your reading glasses and get crackin.

mike