RE: C++ lib compatibility between Red Hat 9 and 7.3

let me give you an example and if you have the resources try it.  Get a
audigy soundcard and build it with gcc 2.96 now see if it works.  Take that
same source and build it with a latter compiler and see if it builds.  Take
both sources to any linux machine and see if it works.  Even better build
some of the kernels with the old compiler and see if they work, take those
same kernels and build with the latest compiler and see if they still work.
My point is you don't know what you're going to get and if it's going to
work with the compiler you select and throw in hardware and you have a even
bigger problem.