RE: Firewall - Limit Geographic Area

Bill Carlson <mailto:wcarlson@xxxxxx>
    on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 2:42 PM said:

>>> Does anyone know of a way to do this?  Are the IP ranges assigned to
>>> American networks published somewhere?
>
> It's easier to go the reverse route, exclude some known foreign
> networks. See http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

Not if you want to exclude everything BUT one place. Like I said in my
earlier example you would be required to specify every place you didn't
want traffic from. On the other hand if you refused traffic from
everywhere except one place you'd be in a better place.

It's just like the workings of regular firewall rules. If you only want
port 80 to come through do you explicitly deny all 65,534 ports or do
you deny everything except port 80?

Chris.

--
Don't like reformatting your Outlook replies? Now there's relief!
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/