crack on 9.0

I was trying to run crack on a very small system.  I used the instructions
in RedHat Linux 8 bible including gettting a redhat friendly
Makefile.  I installed as per the instructions -- when I run the program i
get the following:

Crack: Merging password files...
Crack: Creating gecos-derived dictionaries
mkgecosd: making non-permuted words dictionary
mkgecosd: making permuted words dictionary
Crack: launching: cracker -kill run/Kvger.glenraven.com.7581  -nice 10 -mail
Done

I cant tell if this is running or not.  When I do a report it doesnt seem to
find any
bad passwords -- it should find some.  This is on a very small test system.
How can I tell if it is running - there dont seem to be any processes
running associated with it.

I get alot of datahook error messages.

Does anyone have a a place where I can get a version already tested against
redhat 9.0 or suggest another package.