Recovering Partition Tables...

I recently tried to upgrade from Red Hat 8.0 to 9 on one of my boxes. I
purposefully left alone two of the three hard disks as they had data
stored on them, in ReiserFS partitions.

During the upgrade, it complained about being unable to recognise one of
the ReiserFS disks, and thereafter I was unable to access that drive. It
was never a problem before. As near as I can tell, the partition table has
been lost/destroyed - the data appears to be intact.

Now, purely as an exercise (I have backups), I want to try an recover the
disk and its data. So far I have only tried to rebuild the partition table
using gpart on a knoppix (3.2) cd. The problem is that gpart isn't
discovering a partition table for good or bad ReiserFS disks (it finds the
partition table for an old, bad, ext2/ext3 disk I had stored). Knoppix
_can_ read the good partition. So far I run gpart with it's default
settings, and with ReiserFS weighted higher (gpart -w rfs,1.5).

So, does anyone have any advice for recovering partition tables -
especially concerning ReiserFS? Does anyone have any experience with gpart
- am I using it wrong?

Cheers,
--
Schwuk