Re: iptables: Open Port 443

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 20:34, Earl C. Potter wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 04:53:42PM -0500, Peter Fleck wrote:
> >
> > How do I get iptables to allow requests through port 443? The basic
> > Redhat configuration tools don't seem to address this. Is there a
> > good tutorial on working with iptables?
>
> I've had pretty descent luck w/ /usr/sbin/lokkit or /usr/sbin/gnome-lokkit.  Under customize, it gives you a dialog to allow additional ports.

I've posted in the past that using lokkit on an existing configuration
is a risky proposition unless you have a very basic config.  Lokkit is a
write-only application;  it doesn't have the ability to read in an
existing config, so the moment you load up lokkit (assuming you choose
to save your session), you lose whatever you had in there previously.

Rather, it's actually pretty easy to edit a pre-existing
lokkit-configured iptables configuration ruleset
(/etc/sysconfig/iptables) using your favorite text editor.  Using an
existing entry in my ruleset allowing HTTP (tcp/80) traffic inbound, I
can simply copy that rule and edit the port.  So, you might end up with
a couple of rules like this:

[snip]
-A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 --syn -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 443 --syn -j ACCEPT
[/snip]

Save your file, reload your ruleset (service iptables restart), enjoy!
:)

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting