HELP !!! raid 5 problem

I have a compaq proliant ml 350 that is running RH 7.0.  It is RAIDed to 5,
however, one of the 4 drives crashed yesterday. We hot swapped the old for a
new.  Rebooted and crossed our figures.  The LILO screen comes up and then
flashes into a text screen saying "LOADING LINUX ...".  It does this about 5
or 6 times and then stops on the "LOADING LINUX ....." screen.
We cannot access the machine.
We can see the drives flashing and it looks like the one drive is fgoing
through the rebuilding process.
With a 4 drive RAID5 we should still be able to get in - no?
Yesterday when the drive crashed the machine was not very usable - ie. could
not run "ls" or "find".
This is a bit strange for a RAID5 setup.
Compaq/hp has told us to wait 20 minutes a gig for the rebuild - 6 hours.
We are wondering if this six hours will be wasted time.
Has anyone seen this behavior before?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
We think the boot sector is corrupt and that is why it will not boot.  So we
are waitning fo rhte stripping to finish and then fix teh boot sector.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Doug