Re: List of "user-level" root commands?

%% jurvis lasalle <lasalle@xxxxxxxx> writes:

  jl> What kind of authentication is done at your site?  I'm assuming
  jl> since you've only mentioned NFS that you're concerned about users
  jl> changing their UID and snooping around.  What utilities would your
  jl> users need to change their UID?

If you have general root access you can change your UID to anything you
want.  I guess I'm not sure what you're asking here.

  jl> Keep in mind one of my favorite quotes about sudo from Linux
  jl> Administration Handbook by Nemeth et al - "Generally speaking, any
  jl> attempt to "allow all commands except..." is doomed to failure, at
  jl> least in a technical sense."

I agree with this.  In fact I never even considered this approach.

  jl> If I were you, I would create a very restrictive sudoers file and
  jl> then add to it as your developers request new commands.

That's exactly what I was planning on doing.  But I'd prefer to start
with a list (or lists) of commands that others have already found useful
in their environments, so we can go through that and save ourselves some
headaches up-front.

I guess I'm out of luck though--I'll pile on the Advil! :).