. . . more fun with NICs (ycccchhh)

Given that I cannot find a reliable replacement for the 575BT cardbus
NIC in my LT, I decided to add another 3c509b to the server on the
premise that I would set that device to half duplex and solve the
problem with the finicky 575bt which auto-negotiates but is set to FD
while advertising HD.

By all diagnostic accounts, the second NIC works just fine except, well,
it doesn't work. I cannot ping it nor can I ping from it. In fact, now I
cannot ping from either interface on the server unless I select "-I
eth0." Mail is going out just fine but any application that does not
bind (if that's the right word) to a specific interface won't work.
Apparently, these two cards won't cooperate with each other. Any ideas?