rpm questions?

Hello,
I have two rpm questions.
1.  On redhat 9 by forcing installs etc. i got rpm to a state where it
hung.
With some difficulty i killed it. It now does not even want to do a query.
I tried rebuilding the database with rpmdb --rebuilddb.  It also seemed to
hang, (I left it over night).
What should i try to fix this?
2.  We have a Redhat advance server.
The administrator had not up to today activated the rhn_register/up2date
setup.
When he tried, he got the errors related to the ssl Certificate that
expired.
I told him to download the new rpms and install them.
He got those and ran md5checksum on them successfuly.
When one gives any rpm command envolving these downloaded files, rpm
responds by coming
back to a prompt with no output.
eg. rpm -ihv rhn_register*rpm just comes back to a prompt without any
output.
rpm -qip rhn_register*rpm does the same.
Please help?
regards, Willem