RE: vsFTPd Configuration

> > I'm trying to set up an FTP server for users to transfer
> large files.  I do
> > not want anonymous users.  I have the server running, and users are
> > authenticating correctly.    However, when I log on as a
> user, I am in that
> > users /home directory and not the /var/ftp directory.  How
> do I change this
> > behavior?  I want users to log into /var/ftp so they can
> use ./pub as a
> > shared directory.
> >
> > Using RH8 and vsFTPd v1.1.0
> >
> If all they need is FTP access.  Set their home directories to be
> /var/ftp

For some users...that is fine.  For others with shell access...it isn't as
ideal.  So is the short story:  If a user has shell access...they will
always start in their home directory?  Is there no other option?

Also, what's with the passwd and group files in /var/ftp/etc?  Should I be
adding users in there?  What is their significance?  I've been using my
/etc/passwd to add users for ftp accounts.  Should I not be?

Thanks,

Christian