Re: Open TCP & UDP Ports

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 15:11, Staven Bruce wrote:
> I have a RedHat 8.0 box running Apache and Mailman. I am trying to make sure
> it is locked down. When I run a port scan with nmap, I find the following
> TCP ports open:
>
> 25 -- Mail
> 80 -- WWW
> 111 -- SUN RPC
> 443 -- SSL
> 515 -- spooler
> 6000 --  X Windows
> 32768 -- Filenet
>
> Now, I know I need 80 and 25 open, but can't I just close the rest? How do I
> close a specific port within the RedHat OS?
>
> One last question, the port scan also returns 81 UDP ports as open or not
> answering, should I close these as well?
>
> I would appreciate any info.....

I always err on the conservative side. You can use lokkit and set the
level to high, then tab to customize and open up the ports you need from
there. Then click okay. This should lock down the ports.
Of course others may have other ideas and there are other firewall
tools. I just figured you needed quick and dirty. For more flexible and
configurable, you might try gShield. It has worked for me.
Ed