Re: Asynchronous I/O (AIO) on Linux

Thanks.

I think select/poll is more appropriate when you deal with more than one file descriptor at a time (ex. a server watching couples of sockets).

My problem is very simple:
- read data from a file
- process data (CPU intensive)
- write data.

The processing part and the IO takes comparable times. All I'm trying to do is to use two buffers, and while one is loaded/saved to disk, the other get processed (in theory the CPU should be free, since the disk transfer is done using DMA).

Nothing new here, I just wanted to have a cleaner code - using only the POSIX standard if possible and not messing with any multithreading library just for this (at least not calling it directly from my code).

-iulian

Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
Or just use select/poll

As far as I'm aware, kernel-level AIO is only in Enterprise Red hat.
There may be some libraries that simulate it with threads, however.

Jon