Red Hat Professional Workstation: Thank you, Red Hat!

Today is a good day: there is Red Hat Professional Workstation.

The cost of $100 to me means $40 for the box and $60 for a year of up2date... perfectly fair and reasonable for any home, SOHO, or small business user who does feel that RH provides a valuable product (the OS in the box) and a valuable service (up2date), and wishes to pay for it. I have today requested that the two small companies I help, and who cannot yet afford ES, buy a copy of RHPW as soon as it is available. (OT: I have also requested that they buy at least one copy of Sun StarOffice 7 for testing purposes while I convince them to move off MS Office.)

I will also scrounge up $100 somewhere and buy a copy for myself. As I've said before, I am convinced that Red Hat does care about its customers, remembers its roots, and will try to help "the little guy" where it can. The fact that it is making a stronger push for a profitable, sustainable company is also good from my point of view since it means that I will be able to continue using Red Hat in 2025 instead of having them go broke by doing too much for free.

Thank you, Red Hat!

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx