Apt question

Hello all.  I've been doing a little research on apt for Linux.  If I'm
understanding it correctly, all it does is compare the packages you have
installed to what is available out on freshrpms (or where ever you tell
it to look), and download the packages that are updated and packages
that it is dependent on.  Is that correct?  I just wanted to make sure
that I'm understanding it correctly before I dive into it.

Any tips or info anyone might have would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Haley