Re: Samba Issues

Richard Crawford wrote:
I'm running Samba 2.3x on a RH 8 box and sharing out my wife's and my home directories so that we can access them from our Windows computers.

I use the "Map Network Drive" tool under Windows to connect my share on the Linux box to my Windows computer as Drive Z:, so I can save files there and edit them on either my Windows computer or my Linux desktop computer.

Unfortunately, when I save files onto the share, they show up as being created and owned by username "nobody". The consequence of that is that files I create with Windows cannot be edited with Linux.

Is there a way to set it up so that files I create in Windows show up as owned by my regular Linux user account? I have tried selecting "connect as different user" when mapping the remote drive in Windows, but that doesn't help.

You can setup Samba access to USER instead of SHARE and you need to add users to linux box eg. you and your wife. Then each of you will have it's own folder on linux box with its own permissions.