RE: Red Hat and Fedora

Yeah, I know that all those packages can be downloaded and installed. I like the way Red Hat integrates them into the OS because, for example, I can find all the configuration files in /etc regardless of the package. Also, I have used KDE, Gnome, CDE, Afterstep and fvwm and I really like the integration Red Hat does in the desktop, such as the DNS tool. I could hack those files manually, but the DNS tool works well.

I go back with UNIX to Interactive UNIX on i386 systems (about 13 years), and am very familiar with command lines. Point and click can be faster if you have to look up all the file formats or options every time you need to make a system change.

Red Hat, you have my praise for your integration. Please keep it up and keep it affordable for us poor people.

Tom

Thomas S. Fortner
Burleson, Texas
thomas.fortner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"but we preach Christ crucified..."  1 Corinthians 1:23

No matter what Red Hat includes with their distrobution, the software
will still always be free and downloadable. I usually prefer to build my
own packages as opposed to the rpm's because many times they are
compiled w/o common features, compiled uncleanly, or configured improperly.

When you buy Red Hat, you are really just paying them for the 'labor
costs' of assembling the packages, creating the documentation, etc...
The actual software is free and open-source. (there are some exceptions)