RE: Single login server for windows and Linux

-----Original Message-----
From: James D. Parra [mailto:JamesP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 11:37 AM
To: Redhat-List (E-mail)
Subject: Single login server for windows and Linux

Hello,

What is the best method to have one central Linux server handling login
authentication for Linux and windows machines?

What I would like to achieve is;

1) Provide only network server logins for Linux boxes and have no local
accounts on any Linux machine.

2) Have /home/$USER reside on the centralized Linux login server and not on
local machines.

3) Ditto for windows machines (I know I can achieve this with Samba for
windows clients, unless there is a better way)

If anyone has this type of environment set up, I would greatly appreciate
your help and advice.

Many thanks in advance,

James

We use NIS for the Unix side and Samba PDC for the Window side. Home
directories are automounted and Samba mounts these home directories as the H
drive on the windows box.  This setup still requires two password db
(/etc/passwd and /etc/samba/smbpasswd).  As of this writing I'm looking into
the possiblities of LDAP to eliminate this.  HTH

~smbinyon