Samba on Solaris

Hi Yoss,

I've used Samba on Solaris on both Sparc and Intel hardware and it works
almost identically to Samba on Linux. The locations of the Samba files
are different because Red Hat nicely integrates Samba into the OS. On
Solaris, the default is /usr/local/samba. You may need to write or
customize the /etc/init.d script, depending on which version of Samba
you install.

I used Samba on a dual processor Sun Enterprise 450 with 120 home
directories and 40 shares with a variety of security permissions. This
same server also ran a Lotus Notes email server. It proved to be
Microsoft virus proof and ran for months between reboots. Samba is very
efficient with system resources, so performance was excellent. Solaris
dedicated one of the processors for running the Notes server, so
file/print requests were fast and reliable.

If someone from Red Hat is listening, I've been running Red Hat since
version 5.2. I'm on 9.0 now, and I use the boxed version for my
workstation that doubles as a Samba domain and file/print, DNS, DHCP and
NFS server. It also runs Win4Lin so I can support my "legacy
applications." If you take those functions out of the lower priced
distributions (call it workstation or whatever), you take away my
primary training tool. I can't afford to buy Enterprise to run at home
on a two or three user network.

If you want us to install a licensed Enterprise version in the server
room, I'm OK with that. We'll buy it with the hardware. But please don't
cripple the low end boxed versions. You'll cripple my training program
if you do. Please don't act like Microsoft and try to drain our wallets
through licensing costs.

Tom

Thomas S. Fortner
Burleson, Texas
thomas.fortner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"but we preach Christ crucified..."  1 Corinthians 1:23

Message: 40