Re: modem programming

On Friday 03 Oct 2003 6:32 pm, Srinivas S wrote:
> hello,
>
>  I have to build an application that supports file transfer thru dial-up
> network, as a part of my acedemic project work this semester. I'd been busy
> with a commercial CGI project for one of the call-center websites. I had
> posted for help prior to this and was advised to read thru serial
> programming and modem HOWTOs. I have gone thru Serial programming HOWTO and
> modems HOWTO. But I'm not able to assemble the pieces together. Can anyone
> please assist me in this regard? I just need some sample code that can dial
> a phone number, and a sample code to setup a linux machine to answer a
> call, so that a connection can be established. Please assist me in this
> regard.
>
> Regards,
> Srinivas.

Hi Srinivas,

How low do you need to go? If the aim is to get a working system, then look at
using Kermit. I use it here quite happily on a number of boxes started run
/etc/inittab with a Kermit script driving it.

If, in order for it to class as an application you need to work at a lower
level, I'd suggest looking to Perl.  It's got a number of modules for
handling serial ports, as well as modules for file transfer.

While I haven't used Perl with serial ports myself I would imagine it'll be
fairly easy.

As for driving the modem, it's been a while so I won't be able to help much.
The main things are if you're wanting your modem to answer incoming calls
would be to make sure that the program you have monitoring the line
configures the modem to answer calls (or if you want, get your program to
monitor the 'RING' messages from the modem and then issue the 'ATA' (I think)
command).

A good guide the the Hayes compatible 'AT' command set will help you immensely
here.

HTH

Gary

Gary Stainburn